Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The easy way to freeze tomatoes

If you read my previous article, then you know I have a fetish of using freezer. Somehow I never did on tomatoes until one winter I just bought way too much. I just cann't resisit the price, particularly during winter. I know I can do the canning, but I don't have that many cans on hand.

Basically, I did the whole nine yard things. Cut the corss on the bottomw of the tomatoes, put in a pot with boiling water, remove the tomatoes from the pot and immerge them into ice cold water. Then peel the skin off.

One day, I was talking to one of my customers and he said his cousin does that all the time when she has too many tomatoes coming from her garden. These tomatoes seem to ripe in the same time. She washes these tomatoes clean and put them in the freezer for later use when the tomatoes are $5 per pound during winter. Whenever needed, she put these tomatoes in hot water and peel the skin off.

just took out from the freezer
I cut crosses on the bottom of the tomatoes before I put them in the freezer. I find the tomatoes with crosses are much easier to peel the skin off than these without marks. But some luncky ones will crack themselves in the freezer without cuts. On the safe side, I prefer to spend few seconds to do the labor work.

the left one cracked itself in the freezer

cut side down in the water for easy handling
Soak the tomatoes in hot water just for few seconds. IThe skin is so eary to peel off, but the flesh is still frozen. I made tomato slushy once from the frozen tomatoes. Cutting them has to be very careful because they are hard to handle while frozen. 




Voila, mission accomplished!! These are ready for cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment